Do you feel like you are waking up to deeper truths about yourself and the world around you?
Maybe you haven’t put it in those terms before. But if you answer yes to any of the following questions, then perhaps you are having an “awakening:”
- Do you sense that there is much more to reality than you perceive on a day-to-day basis?
- Does it feel like your old ways of being just don’t work anymore? (ie: your pace of life, your reactions to stress, feeling like you’re on a hamster-wheel)
- Are you finding that what you’ve held as truth is coming into question?
- Have you experienced a life-altering event that radically shifted your perception of yourself and/or others?
- Are you feeling an urgent, off-the-charts yearning to contribute your piece of the puzzle in creating a better world?
You may be noticing a shift inside yourself - that who you thought you were might not be who you REALLY are. And you may be questioning the world around you and how things REALLY work. Your questions might be becoming bigger than your answers. Or, you might sometimes feel like the “odd one out” at social gatherings, at work, or with some of your old friends as your interests and focus have begun to change.
The good news is you are not alone! You might be what sociologist Paul Ray and psychologist Sherry Ruth Anderson call a “cultural creative.” In their book The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People are Changing the World, they identified the qualities of a "Cultural Creative.”
For fun, see how many of the following characteristics ring true for you:
- love of nature and deep caring about its preservation, and its natural balance.
- strong awareness of the planet-wide issues like climate change and poverty and a desire to see more action on them
- being active in local or global community issues
- willingness to pay higher taxes or spend more money for goods if that money went to improving the environment
- emphasize the importance of developing and maintaining relationships
- emphasize the importance of helping others and developing your unique gifts
- volunteer with one or more good causes
- intense interest in spiritual and psychological development
- see spirituality as an important aspect of life, but worry about religious fundamentalism
- desire equality for women and men in business, life and politics
- concern and support of the well-being of all women and children
- support spending more money on education, community development programs, and the support of a more ecologically sustainable future
- unhappy with the left and right in politics
- optimism towards the future
- involved in creating a new and better way of life
- concerned with big business and the means they use to generate profits, including destroying the environment and exploiting poorer countries
- unlikely to overspend or be heavily in debt
- dislike the emphasis of modern cultures on "making it" and "success", on consuming and making money
- like people, places and things that are different or exotic
If you responded with a “yep, that’s me” to 10 or more of these characteristics, consider yourself part of a global community that is growing at astounding speed.
As of the year 2000, Ray and Anderson found that there were over 50 million adult Americans (slightly over one quarter of the adult population at the time) who could be identified as Cultural Creatives. And they estimated that there were an additional 80-90 million in Europe. (I’m sure there are countless in other parts of the world as well, but their surveys only covered these two populations).
I recently attended the EFT/Matrix Reimprinting conference in Birmingham, England, where I was fortunate enough to be with one of my heroes, Dr. Bruce Lipton. He referred to us as Cultural Creatives. I hadn’t heard the term before and I was instantly intrigued. I felt relieved and inspired by our collective potential to be active participants in creating the changes that the world desperately needs.
And yet, for me, these burning questions remained:
Why are so many conscious-minded, health focused, spiritually oriented people experiencing so many challenges including mysterious physical symptoms, financial challenges and general upheaval in their lives? And, what are the keys to getting past these challenges and experiencing the rewards of an awakened life and ultimately, an awakened world?
These are the questions that have inspired my journey and my work over the past 10 years.
Here is what I’ve discovered:
1) As you awaken to a deeper truth about yourself, old misconceptions begin to fall away and higher awareness begins to take root. There’s a “dismantling” process that must occur – like building a house on a new foundation.
2) This is a process that takes time, and without support and frequent reminders of the bigger picture, it’s easy to get discouraged and even a bit lost in the weeds.
3) When we begin to reorganize ourselves around deeper truths about ourselves and our world, everything is effected - our bodies, our lives, our relationships, our work. This reorganization can feel quite chaotic. But, contrary to what you might think, chaos is not random. It has purpose and order – it’s just that you can’t see a big enough slice of the picture to see the pattern.
A great way to understand this concept better is to watch this amazing 3 minute video. In this experiment, sand is placed on a metal plate which is connected to a tone generator. As the pitch of the tone increases, the patterns become more complex and more beautiful, resembling sacred geometry.
“If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration”. Nikola Tesla
When we are experiencing increased awareness, it’s similar to the pitch being increased in the sand experiment video. We are organizing around a “higher frequency.”
Here’s what’s significant about this: when the pitch is increased, just before the new pattern emerges, there is a period of “chaos” where the sand is jumping around on the plate.
So, if your life feels like it’s “jumping all over the place” – consider the possibility that this is a good thing. And, remember that there are simple emotional well-being tools that can stabilize your energy and make your transition easier.
Why it’s SO worth it:
I recently came across the Awakened Life Project in the mountains of central Portugal. They are an educational community committed to the evolution of consciousness and culture (yes, I literally jumped with joy to have discovered this in my back yard!). This is their vision:
“Do you feel that we are living in an unprecedented time of global crisis and transition and that something fundamental about the way human beings relate to themselves, to each other and to the planet urgently needs to evolve?
If you feel a Big Yes arising within your heart then you are experiencing the call to an Awakened Life. When we let go, even momentarily, of the fears and desires that usually shape our psychological existence, we awaken to the deeper truth that we are Life, and that Life naturally wants to evolve.”
Great change requires each of us to step into our greatness. Know that you are on your path, and that every leap you make is part of the bigger leap we are all making together.
Thanks for joining me on the journey.
Bernadette is a Certified Emotional Freedom Technique Practitioner. She supports clients on their awakening life journey.
Sessions via Skype or Phone. bernadettewesley.com